CALL FOR APPLICATION: GENERAL MANAGER: BIOECONOMYGMC Support
The Innovation Hub Management Company (TIHMC), a subsidiary of the Gauteng Growth and Development Agency SOC Ltd (an initiative by the Gauteng Provincial Government for investing in strategic economic infrastructure and investment promotion so as to unlock economic growth in Gauteng). The Innovation Hub is the first Science and Technology Park in Southern Africa, established to spur the growth of smart industries in Gauteng so as to create a truly ‘smart’ province. It is now offering the following opportunity to a competent and dedicated person to join a dynamic team in Pretoria East.
GENERAL MANAGER: BIOECONOMY
5 year fixed -term contract with three months’ probation, Salary Package is negotiable Total Cost to Company
The purpose of this role is to provide strategic direction and effectively manage the Innovation, Sectors and Industry Development Department’s programs and activities which include but not limited to: strengthening TIHMC innovation interventions, including development of innovation clusters in priority sectors in Gauteng and also it includes management of the Gauteng Innovation and Knowledge Economy
Strategy initiatives. The successful incumbent will be reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer and will be required to provide the following deliverables:
- Develop strategic framework for strategic R&D and Innovation programs unit
- Strengthening relationships with Higher Education Institutions and Research Institutions to ensure commercialisation of their R&D
- Innovation competitions to identify service delivery innovations and also innovations with potential for job creation
- Demand led innovation through open innovation approaches as well as interactions with public and private sector, to increase use of innovation to solve pressing challenges to enhance competitiveness
- Sourcing of innovations to ensure competitiveness of Gauteng Province, including in-bound technology transfer; identification, sourcing and implementation of technologies that would result in new industry creation and strengthening of priority sectors
- Establish relationships with municipalities and provincial government departments; sourcing of innovations addressing service delivery challenges, including efficiency of government and enterprises
- ICT and Biosciences sectors cluster value chain development including full development of the BioPark
- Identifying manufacturing sector opportunities and developing and implementing plans to enhance sector’s contribution to province’s GDP
- Development, implementation and management of various collaborative programs and projects through multi helix partners, focusing on, amongst other green and sustainable development; cluster development in biotechnology, ICT, industrials and renewable energy; regional innovation programs in support of increasing cities’ competitiveness
- Identify and secure appropriate revenue/ funding for implementation of R&D and innovation projects
- Build and manage strategic partnerships / relationships with publicly financed research and educational institutions, industry and government to position TIHMC as a key player in ensuring that R&D and innovation serve socio-economic development and competitiveness of Gauteng
- Manage department’s staff and/or consultants in compliance with relevant legislation and TIHMC’s policies and procedures
- Prepare and present reports and other documentation (including board papers, statutory reports, etc) as required in terms of the Business Plan and/or by the shareholder.
MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES: This position is required to work within policies and procedures; PFMA and Treasury regulations; and the Preferential Procurement Policy Framework Act. The incumbent is also required to communicate procurement procedures; ensure dissemination of correct information and specifications; ensure optimal balance of costs against quality; and championing compliance to procurement procedures.
DIRECTING AND SUPERVISING: This position works under close supervision, work activities are assigned in a detailed manner, progress is reviewed during completion of tasks.
MONITORING AND CONTROLLING: Monitor information and documentation against requirements of all relevant policies and procedures to ensure records are complete, accurate and finalized within the stipulated timeframes.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
Master’s degree in engineering or science together with a business degree or equivalent qualification in innovation and technology management. Relevant PhD will be an advantage
8 – 10 years’ experience in industry, research and commercialisation of research results; managerial level at least 4 of which have been at Senior Management Level
- Research, technology management and product development
- Commercialisation of R&D and innovation
- Experience in market and technology intelligence, due diligence including understanding of principles of intellectual property management
- Board governance and issue
- Good general knowledge of technology management and development
- Strong communication, presentation and report writing skills
- Sound understanding of commercialisation of technology and R&D
- String strategic orientation
- Decision making ability
- Understanding / knowledge of the South African R&D and innovation eco-system
- Knowledge of the Public Finance Management Act and other relevant legislation
- Knowledge of Gauteng province’s green economy strategy as well as innovation strategy
- A very good understanding of the relationships between the GGDA and its shareholder and strategic external stakeholders.
Interested individuals should submit a comprehensive CV (clearly stating the position title) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Correspondence will be conducted with shortlisted candidates only.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants, who have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date, should consider their application to be unsuccessful.
Closing Date: 18 June 2021.
TIHMC is committed to Employment Equity and aims to attract and retain talented individuals to achieve its equity objectives. Therefore, people from designated groups and those with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Download – PDF