Why Invest in Gauteng
Gauteng is the epicentre for growth – it is South Africa’s economic engine and an important launching pad for local and international businesses into African markets.
- An investor-friendly environment
- Good infrastructure and facilities
- Low land and commercial building costs
- World-class road, rail and air networks
- A large pool of young and highly skilled labour
- Electricity, which is amongst the cheapest in the world
- Functional national institutions protecting the right of investors
- Clear and consistent economic policies in line with national policies
Five Development Corridors of The Gauteng City Region
Africa’s Financial And Technological Nerve Centre And Pre-eminent Hub for Innovation, R & D.
- Developments in Sandton, Rosebank, Midrand (Waterfall), Fourways (Steyn City and Riversands) and Randburg/Lanseria as major economic nodes
- Regeneration of the Inner-city and other CBDs through the release of derelict buildings to private sector and universities for redevelopment and construction of the Provincial Government Precinct
- Revitalisation of Township Industrial Parks and Township Economy Development programme
- Development of the Braamfontein/Auckland Park Innovation Route.
The Capital of the Republic And the Hub of The Automotive Industry Manufacturing, Innovation, R&D, Aerospace And Defence Industries.
- Automotive SEZ and Tshwane Auto City development
- High Tech SEZ and Innovation Hub expansion
- Rainbow Junction mixed-use development
Goal: Rebuild Ekurhuleni’s manufacturing base and invest in the expansion of OR Tambo International Airport Hub into Africa’s largest Aerotropolis
- Home of the OR Tambo SEZ
- The expansion of ORTIA cargo terminal and new developments around the airport
- PRASA-Gibela rail manufacturing hub in Nigel and Transnet’s Tambo-Springs Logistics Hub and the development of fuel cell technology underway – expansion of the footprint of the SEZ
- Major private sector developments taking place around R21 corridor
- A new OR Tambo University of Science and Technology to be established
- Several Human Settlements Mega Projects underway
Goal: Diversifying the West Rand economy from mining only to be the Hub of Agri-business and Agro-processing, Renewable Energy and Tourism.
- The development of the Agri-Industrial Park & Logistics Hub for agro-processing
- The development of the Lanseria Airport City
- Reinvesting in Chamdor and Township Industrial Parks
- Invest in Maropeng-Haartebees Eco-Tourism Area
- Regeneration of CBDs and mining towns
- Merafong Bioenergy Eco Industrial Park
Goal: Regenerate the Vaal Triangle economy through the development of an Agritopolis, Tourism and Entertainment Hub
- Establishment of the Vaal SEZ
- The development of the Vaal River City and Vaal Marina
- Revitalisation of Township Industrial Parks in Lesedi and Sebokeng
- Logistics Hub and new mining development in Lesedi
- Agritopolis/Aerotropolis development initiative